Advertisement Feedback and Customization
Recently giant web companies started to ask for feedback while displaying advertisements.
A few days ago, I saw a notification on my "Facebook home page", which is linked to a page that explains how Facebook advertisements work and how users can customize the advertisements to see. Display ads of Amazon has a similar future (Ad Feedback) for a long time and it is accessible from a link(Advertisement) below each advertisement. A few weeks ago, I noticed Ad Interest Manager Beta tool in Yahoo mail which can be accessed from a link(AdChoices) above the advertisement.
Each of these advertisement feedback solutions get feedback in different ways, but the main idea is the same "display better targeted advertisements". I am looking forward to see similar approaches from all other web companies in order not to see "new L'Oreal Mascara" ads as a single guy.
Eventually there will be a need to store these feedbacks into one place. Why should we enter the same feedback into each and every web site separately? Here are a few options come to my mind at the airport:
- A simple XML file can be used to exchange the advertisement choices between multiple web sites.
- a. This file can be exported and imported into multiple web sites.
- b. This file is not stored in users' computer but on the cloud. The user can provide access to his ad settings for the web sites which display ads.
- a. Amazon Silk knows the logged in user and can customize the advertisements while polling them.
- b. Google Chrome can sync this information with user's Google account and customize the ads before displaying.
If you have a better idea to solve this problem. please share it in the comments and we can discuss.
The following screenshots are from the web sites, which gets feedback from users.